With 11 million web page views and counting since 2013, these tremendous tender and chewy chocolate chip cookies are the most well-liked cookie recipe on my web site. Melted butter, extra brown sugar than white sugar, cornstarch, and an additional egg yolk assure absolutely the chewiest chocolate chip cookie texture. And also you don’t even want a mixer!
Reader Adrienne commented: “These are one of the best cookies I’ve ever had. Unimaginable. Don’t reduce corners otherwise you’ll miss out. Do all the pieces she says and also you’re in for one of the best cookies of your life.”
There are literally thousands of chocolate chip cookies recipes on the market. Everybody has their favourite and this one is mine. Only a look on the tons of of evaluations within the feedback part tells me that this recipe is a favourite for a lot of others too! In reality, for those who requested me which recipe to maintain in your apron pocket, my reply can be this one. Simply learn the feedback on a publish in our Fb group. These cookies are liked… and, warning: they disappear FAST.
The recipe can be included in two of my printed cookbooks (in Sally’s Baking Dependancy, I swap chocolate chips for M&Ms/chocolate chips combo).
Why Are These My BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies?
- The chewiest of chewy and the softest of sentimental.
- Additional thick identical to my favourite peanut butter cookies!
- Bakery-style BIG.
- Exploding with chocolate.
Again in 2013, I examined this cookie recipe again and again to ensure they’re completely good. I nonetheless have a giant house in my coronary heart (and abdomen) for these Mushy Chocolate Chip Cookies. At the moment’s recipe is comparable, however I elevated the chewiness issue.
Reader A.Phillips commented: “Look no additional. That is it. That is the right cookie recipe. Observe her directions precisely and the cookies shall be chewy and wonderful. … These are probably the most good cookies I’ve made and I’ve tried no less than 20 totally different recipes.”
Key Elements for Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
The cookie dough is created from your commonplace cookie substances: flour, leavener, salt, sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla. It’s the ratios and temperature of these substances that make this recipe stand out from the remaining.
- Melted butter: Melted butter produces the chewiest cookies. It may possibly, nonetheless, make your baked cookies greasy, so I made positive there may be sufficient flour to counteract that. And utilizing melted butter can be the rationale you don’t want a mixer to make these cookies, identical to these pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.
- Extra brown sugar than white sugar: Extra brown sugar than white sugar: The moisture in brown sugar guarantees an additional tender and chewy baked cookie. White granulated sugar remains to be mandatory, although. It’s dry and helps the cookies unfold. A little bit little bit of unfold is an effective factor.
- Cornstarch: Why? Cornstarch provides the cookies that extremely tender consistency all of us love. Plus, it helps maintain the cookies fantastically thick. We use the identical trick when making shortbread cookies.
- Egg yolk: One other method to promise a brilliant chewy chocolate chip cookie is to make use of an additional egg yolk. The additional egg yolk provides richness, tender tenderness, and binds the dough. You will have 1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature. See the recipe Notes for the way to carry your eggs to room temperature rapidly.
The dough shall be tender and the chocolate chips could not stick due to the melted butter. Simply maintain stirring it; I promise it should come collectively. Due to the melted butter and additional egg yolk, the slick dough doesn’t even appear to be regular cookie dough! Belief the method…
An important step is subsequent.
2 Main Success Suggestions
1. Chill the dough. Chilling the cookie dough is so necessary on this recipe! Except you need the cookies to unfold into an enormous cookie puddle, chilling the dough is obligatory right here. It permits the substances to settle collectively after the blending stage however most significantly: chilly dough ends in thicker cookies. Cowl the cookie dough and chill for no less than 2–3 hours and even as much as 3–4 days.
After chilling, the dough is sort of strong, so let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes (to melt it up barely) earlier than shaping. (No time to relax? Make these tender & chewy chocolate chip cookie bars as a substitute!)
2. Roll the cookie dough balls further tall. After the dough has chilled, scoop out a ball of dough that’s 3 Tablespoons for XL cookies or about 2 heaping Tablespoons (1.75 ounces or 50g) for medium/giant cookies. I often use this medium cookie scoop and make it a heaping scoop. However making the cookie dough balls tall and textured, quite than huge and clean, is my tried-and-true trick that ends in thick and textured-looking cookies. We’re speaking thick bakery-style cookies with wrinkly, textured tops. Your cookie dough ought to look much less like balls and extra like, properly, lumpy columns, LOL.
Watch the video under to see how I form them. I additionally exhibit how I exploit a spoon to reshape them throughout baking if I see they’re spreading an excessive amount of.
One other Success Tip: Once you take away the cookie dough from the fridge, the dough could also be barely crumbly. Scooping after which shaping it with heat arms retains it intact.
Instruments I Advocate for This Recipe
I’ve examined many baking instruments and these are the precise merchandise I exploit, belief, and advocate to readers. You’ll want most of those instruments when making sugar cookies and snickerdoodles, too!
Can I Freeze This Cookie Dough?
Sure, completely. After chilling, generally I roll the cookie dough into balls and freeze them in a big zipped-top bag. Then I bake them straight from the freezer, holding them within the oven for an additional minute. This fashion you’ll be able to bake simply a few cookies each time the craving hits. (The chewy chocolate chip cookie craving is a tough one to disregard.)
In case you’re interested by freezing cookie dough, right here’s my How you can Freeze Cookie Dough web page.
Fb member Leigh commented: These are the one CC cookies I’ve made for years (and this recipe is how I got here to be such a fan of SBA!) This recipe labored nice after I lived in Denver and had points with baking at altitude, and it’s nonetheless our favourite now that we’re again at sea degree. I often make 4x-6x batches and freeze tons of cookie balls to bake later.
In Quick, Right here Are the Secrets and techniques to Mushy & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Cornstarch helps product tender and thick cookies.
- Utilizing extra brown sugar than white sugar ends in a moister, softer cookie.
- An additional egg yolk will increase chewiness.
- Rolling the cookie dough balls to be tall and lumpy as a substitute of huge and clean provides the cookies a bakery-style textured thickness.
- Utilizing melted butter (and barely extra flour to counteract the liquid) will increase chewiness.
- Chilling the dough ends in a thicker cookie.
Q: Have you ever baked a batch earlier than?
These tremendous tender and chewy chocolate chip cookies are the most well-liked cookie recipe on my web site for good purpose. Melted butter, extra brown sugar than white sugar, cornstarch, and an additional egg yolk assure absolutely the chewiest chocolate chip cookie texture. The cookie dough is slick and requires chilling previous to shaping the cookies. Evaluate recipe notes earlier than starting.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt collectively in a big bowl. Put aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar collectively till no brown sugar lumps stay. Whisk within the egg and egg yolk. Lastly, whisk within the vanilla extract. The combination shall be skinny. Pour into dry substances and blend along with a big spoon or rubber spatula. The dough shall be very tender, thick, and seem greasy. Fold within the chocolate chips. The chocolate chips could not stick with the dough due to the melted butter, however do your finest to mix them.
- Cowl the dough tightly and chill within the fridge for no less than 2–3 hours or as much as 3 days. I extremely advocate chilling the cookie dough in a single day for much less spreading.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and permit it to barely soften at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Line giant baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Put aside.
- Utilizing a cookie scoop or Tablespoon measuring spoon, measure 3 scant Tablespoons (about 2 ounces, or 60g) of dough for XL cookies or 2 heaping Tablespoons (about 1.75 ounces, or 50g) of dough for medium/giant cookies. Roll right into a ball, ensuring the form is taller quite than huge—virtually like a cylinder. This helps the cookies bake up thicker. Repeat with remaining dough. Place 8–9 balls of dough onto every cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 12–13 minutes or till the perimeters are very frivolously browned. (XL cookies can take nearer to 14 minutes.) The facilities will look very tender, however the cookies will proceed to set as they cool. Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. In the meantime, press just a few further chocolate chips into the tops of the nice and cozy cookies. That is non-obligatory and just for seems. After 10 minutes of cooling on the baking sheets, switch cookies to a wire rack to chill fully.
- Cookies keep contemporary lined at room temperature for as much as 1 week.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: You may make the cookie dough and chill it within the fridge for as much as 2–3 days. Enable to come back to room temperature then proceed with step 5. Baked cookies freeze properly for as much as 3 months. Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze properly for as much as 3 months. Bake frozen cookie dough balls for an additional minute, no must thaw. Click on right here for my ideas and tips on freezing cookie dough.
- Cornstarch: In case you don’t have cornstarch, you’ll be able to go away it out. The cookies are nonetheless very tender.
- Butter: Salted butter can be utilized as a substitute. Scale back salt within the cookie dough to 1/4 teaspoon.
- Egg & Egg Yolk: Room temperature egg + egg yolk are finest. Usually, if a recipe requires room temperature or melted butter, it’s good apply to make use of room temperature eggs as properly. To carry eggs to room temperature rapidly, merely place the entire eggs right into a glass of heat water for five minutes.
- Can I add nuts or totally different add-ins? Sure, completely. So long as the overall quantity of add-ins is round 1 – 1 and 1/4 cups, you’ll be able to add something together with chopped nuts, M&Ms, white chocolate chips, dried cranberries, chopped peanut butter cups, and so forth. You can even add 1/2 cup (80g) sprinkles to make a sprinkle chocolate chip cookie.
- You’ll want to try my high 5 cookie baking ideas AND these are my 10 must-have cookie baking instruments.
Key phrases: chocolate chip cookies
Make a Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake subsequent time.
Baking Made Straightforward
Are you new to this web site? This e-mail collection is a superb place to start out. I’ll stroll you thru just a few of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.