So that you’ve completed your first podcast episode and now you’re able to launch it to the world. The issue—listeners aren’t going to stumble alongside and discover your podcast prefer it’s 2007. The answer is to create a sturdy digital advertising technique on your podcast launch.
Right here at Foundr we’ve launched and grown 2 profitable podcasts that garner 100,000+ downloads. How’d we do it? Learn our podcast advertising recommendation and get your present within the ears of your future followers.
5 Methods for Podcast Advertising and marketing
Getting the phrase out about your new podcast can take many types, however the most effective place to start out with podcast advertising is to search for the place your present clients, followers, and viewers are spending their time.
Don’t have an lively following but? Begin with your pals, household, or business colleagues. Take into consideration your audience and why they need to hearken to your podcast.
Listed here are some inquiries to ask to make your podcast advertising technique efficient:
Now that you simply’ve considered the place what you are promoting, model, and platforms stand, it’s time to market your podcast to potential listeners.
#1: Promote Your Podcast with Video
The traces between audio and video mediums have blurred as a result of acceptance of video conferencing and distant software program instruments. Fortuitously, this evolution has made it simpler than ever to advertise a podcast utilizing the ability of video.
Video is among the strongest methods to interact an viewers on social media, making it important to include in your podcast advertising. Begin easy by pulling a 30-second snippet of an episode with subtitles and graphics that you may promote on Instagram or TikTok.
If you wish to improve your podcast advertising with video, document your episodes concurrently on video and add them as clips or full episodes to YouTube (like this podcast episode from Tifo). Some podcasts simulcast reside on platforms like Twitch or Fb Dwell.
Fortunately you don’t want to rent a full manufacturing staff to advertise your podcast utilizing video. Listed here are instruments to include video into your podcast advertising technique:
We document all our interviews for the Foundr Podcast and From Zero to Foundr Podcast. Then we pull brief clips and share them throughout our social channels. We’ve seen a lot success from these movies that we began a brand new channel referred to as Foundr Tales devoted to sharing full-length video variations of the podcasts.
Including the technical challenges of video might look like pointless work to your podcast manufacturing—you may need even began a podcast to keep away from investing in video—however new instruments are making it simpler than ever to market your podcast utilizing video. Begin small, check, be taught, and develop your video promos alongside your podcast.
#2: Get a Podcast Visitor, Be a Podcast Visitor
In case your podcast has visitors or interviews, you’re already constructing advertising into the present’s technique. Touchdown a well-liked visitor can immediately deliver your podcast recognition and standing. Heck, that technique kicked off foundr within the first place (watch the complete story beneath). Visitors additionally deliver their followers to your present, gaining publicity in a reciprocity relationship.
However you don’t must land Richard Bronson on your first interview to achieve success. There could also be a visitor in your area of interest business described because the “Bronson of [insert your industry].” Your podcast’s attain will develop when you have got constant visitors that present worth to your viewers and herald new listeners.
Make it straightforward on your visitors to share their look on the podcast by offering promo belongings, social handles, and social copy templates. Beneath is a template we use when following up with visitors:
Hello [insert name talent or talent contact], thanks for showing as a visitor on our podcast. I needed to let you already know that the episode is now reside on our channels.
With a purpose to develop the attain and affect of the content material, are you able to share the hyperlink(s) beneath in your social channels and tag us?
Podcast episode: [Insert Link]
[Insert social media handles]
Unsure methods to promote the content material you’re featured in? [Try our posting templates].
Thanks once more for partnering with us on the podcast!
Reserving visitors aren’t the one strategy to increase your podcast advertising—why not be a visitor your self?
Matchmaker.fm is sort of a relationship app for podcasters. You will discover visitors or be a visitor on a podcast and embrace the subjects related to your podcast/experience for a top quality match. And similar to a relationship app, it’s important to optimize your profile to place your finest self ahead; in any other case, you’ll be caught on a metaphorical “unhealthy date,” besides this time, it is going to be recorded.
By reserving high quality visitors and being a top quality visitor, you’ll begin constructing a podcast neighborhood that may develop your viewers, attain, and entice new markets. You would possibly even make a buddy or two.
#3: Set up a Constant Social Presence
Beginning a podcast isn’t a one-medium undertaking. You’re establishing a brand new product, so deal with it with equal care. Advertising and marketing the discharge of your podcast will likely be thrilling on your model and viewers, however don’t lose momentum. Like several channel, you have to constantly promote the podcast and episodes as a result of not each single person who follows your model will subscribe (or hear) to your podcast.
For many of you, advertising your podcast will happen throughout your already established model or enterprise channels. Ensure that every podcast episode is posted on Fb, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter TikTok, and so forth. Construct this into your social media technique and experiment with social adverts should you’re seeking to attain new listeners.
In some circumstances, it is likely to be simpler to individually create social accounts (or perhaps a web site) on your podcast. This transfer could be dangerous as a result of it’d compete together with your private model or enterprise. Listed here are some causes to determine your podcast’s personal social channels:
- Your podcast isn’t related to what you are promoting or private model
- Your content material from the podcast is unique to the channel
- You wish to differentiate your podcast viewers from what you are promoting viewers
- Your podcast viewers dimension is massive sufficient to have a separate platform for information, information, and dialogue
- You wish to put your podcast behind a paywall
Podcast advertising on social media takes as a lot effort and self-discipline as producing a podcast. However don’t be discouraged. Make a plan, create templates, schedule content material, and work forward. You’ll be shocked how your podcast and social media development can complement one another.
Learn extra: Methods to Promote on Fb for Social Media Learners
#4: Begin an Electronic mail E-newsletter for Your Listeners
Electronic mail newsletters are coming again (or did they ever go away) as an efficient and free strategy to attain clients. Incorporate your podcast advertising in your subsequent e-mail e-newsletter. Create an icon selling every episode or a quote from a latest interview.
If you have already got an established e-mail record (or don’t have one but), give your viewers a possibility to opt-in to a podcast-specific e-newsletter that features the next:
- New episode alerts
- Merchandise hyperlinks
- Content material “from the archives”
- Episode notes and hyperlinks to visuals
- Teaser in regards to the subsequent visitor or episode
- Transcriptions from the interviews
- Promotion of social channels
- Methods listeners can become involved
Electronic mail newsletters are a strong (and invasive) channel to market your podcast. Make sure you’re offering visible worth to your audio followers and never simply including to their unread inbox.
#5: Construct an Interactive Community
Podcast advertising is all about making a community of listeners that do extra than simply press play. Constructing a two-way relationship takes a podcast from a platform to a valued property.
When you’ve constructed up a stable cadence of episodes and listeners, attain out to get them concerned. Listed here are methods to make your podcast an interactive community of followers:
- Put Your Viewers within the Present: Ask your listeners to share tales, concepts, or suggestions for future episodes. Create a call-in line utilizing instruments like Speakpipe or create an e-mail inbox particularly for listeners. Individuals like to be heard, and it could create loyal listeners for years. Plus, a mailbag or call-in episode is ideal for producing extra content material once you’re operating low on concepts or have to take per week off.
- Incentivize Scores and Evaluations: Each podcast has to plead with its listeners to charge and assessment the present on their most popular podcast app. However why not make it value their whereas? Enter every reviewer into sweepstakes or learn the critiques in your present to encourage suggestions.
- Declare Your Present: Increasingly podcast aggregators and apps pop up like Podchaser. Just remember to declare your present throughout apps and rising audio apps.
- Construct a Neighborhood Platform: One of many challenges of podcasting is that you may’t actively work together with followers like YouTube or Twitch. Making a Discord, Fb Group, or Patreon on your podcast can assist arrange your ambiguous listeners right into a neighborhood of followers.
- Add Common Contributors: When you have a well-liked common visitor, why not make them a contributor to the podcast? For instance, The Jurassic Park Podcast, Small Beans, and The Whole Soccer Present are podcasts the place totally different contributors fill episode slots on particular subjects. Primarily you’re making a mini-network inside one podcast feed. By including contributors, you’ll be able to enhance your content material output, develop your viewers, and share possession of your podcast.
- Begin a Spinoff Podcast: We don’t advise this till you’ve established a constant and in style podcast. Beginning a derivative podcast would be the results of your podcast advertising success. At this level, your present has a powerful sufficient following that desires extra content material and/or searching for a unique theme, fashion, or host. We began the From Zero to Foundr Podcast to share tales of up-and-coming founders with our viewers to allow them to be taught real-time recommendation from their friends.
Broaden Your Podcast Advertising and marketing Expertise
Just like the medium itself, podcast advertising continues to be in its infancy with room for experimentation, development, and creativity.
Go to our catalog of free advertising programs that may train you other ways to develop your podcast’s attain. From Instagram to YouTube adverts, our instructors will share their confirmed advertising methods to succeed in audiences and develop your companies.