Should you’re fascinated about adopting a guinea pig, right here’s what it is advisable to find out about guinea pig vitamin, housing and extra!
Cautious consideration earlier than adopting, together with analysis and planning, plus loads of love, persistence and a way of humour, will foster a robust and loving relationship that may make it easier to uncover the enjoyment of guinea pigs, and make you associates for all times!
An entire every day guinea pig food plan consists of a vast provide of Timothy hay, loads of contemporary greens, a small quantity of guinea pig pellets enriched with vitamin C, and a small portion of fruit. Guinea pigs develop particular person meals preferences, however some widespread favourites embody:
- Snap peas
- Romaine lettuce
Contemporary water ought to all the time be accessible and is greatest offered in a sipper bottle on the facet of their enclosure.
Along with good vitamin, guinea pigs profit drastically from supervised train exterior of their main enclosure. This area must be in a protected, well-secured room with no entry to cords, wires, stairs or open vents. Present your pet with toys to play with and a particular place to cover.
The enamel of guinea pigs continually develop, which implies that chewing gadgets are important for his or her dental well being. Hay, agency greens and non-toxic wooden chews are nice additions to their enclosures for this goal.
Males could be neutered by veterinarians who’re very aware of guinea pig surgical procedure. By neutering males, they are often paired with females whereas stopping undesirable pregnancies. Different pairings that work effectively are females collectively and males who have been raised collectively.
Permit your guinea pig to smell your hand and use his or her favorite meals to achieve their belief. As soon as they’re comfy, choose them up gently and slowly. Gently place one hand behind their entrance legs, cupping their chest, whereas utilizing the opposite hand to assist their hind finish and again ft always. Guinea pigs are most comfy when horizontal and near your physique or in your lap.
Leaping down may cause severe damage to guinea pigs, so dealing with them whereas sitting on the ground is most secure. Guinea pigs shouldn’t be picked up or carried by younger kids, as they will simply free themselves from a baby’s grasp. When returning your pet to his or her enclosure, they need to be launched immediately onto the ground.
Nail cutting must be finished month-to-month and could be simply demonstrated by a veterinarian or an RVT. Each lengthy and short-haired guinea pigs may even want common brushing, with a comfortable child brush.
Cages must be as giant as you may accommodate. The minimal dimension for a cage for one or two guinea pigs is 7.5 sq. ft, however the bigger you may accommodate the higher. One of the best location in your guinea pigs enclosure is in a shared a part of your private home the place your guinea pig could be a part of the household and monitored intently, out of direct daylight and off the ground protected against different household pets.
- Enclosures ought to have stable bottoms to forestall foot accidents and be lined with shredded newspaper, grass hay, aspen or hardwood shavings. Take away dirty shavings every day and provides the enclosure a radical cleansing every week. As guinea pigs are startled simply, a hiding place have to be offered. They need to have entry to a hiding place always, for once they want some quiet. To advertise the well being of your guinea pig, gadgets akin to toys, hammocks and platforms with ramps must be added to their enclosure. The listing of toys is limitless, however some very reasonably priced gadgets embody:
- Paper luggage filled with hay
- Ping pong balls
- Paper towel rolls (lower lengthwise)
Guinea pigs are very social animals and are happiest once they have one other guinea pig companion, and a spotlight from their human relations. Even effectively socialized guinea pigs might nip if startled, so solely permit older kids and adults to deal with them.
Guinea pigs have good color imaginative and prescient and nice listening to, enabling them to study to answer particular sounds. With some persistence and persistence, they will even be skilled to make use of litter bins!
Issues to keep away from
Keep away from the next potential hazards to supply your pet guinea pig with a protected surroundings:
- Sawdust, cedar, pine and corn-cob bedding may cause sickness and toxicity
- Train balls and operating wheels that aren’t designed for guinea pigs may end up in severe accidents
- Entry to handled or painted wooden
- Unsupervised time with younger kids, open air or free-roaming in the home
- Toxic meals akin to rhubarb, chocolate, potato, seeds and nuts
- Putting the cage in fixed direct daylight, a storage or a laundry room
- Offering grass, clover or dandelions from a yard handled with pesticides or fertilizers
Guinea pigs dwell, on common, 4 to eight years so ensure you’re prepared for the dedication earlier than adopting. Some guinea pigs might dwell so long as 10 years!
Should you’re occupied with adopting a guinea pig, maintain your eye on the Ontario SPCA adoption website to observe for guinea pigs in search of a loving residence.